Wednesday, June 22, 2011

primary camp

I counseled a wonderful group of seven 7-10 year olds for three days.  Luckily, they all came with friends and worked well together.  My two youngest were best friends but needed constant direction and took a combined six or seven trips to the nurse.  They were absolutely adorable but took so much effort- I wish I could have given more to some of the other campers.  One of the girls, though needy had my favorite camper comments of the week.  We were talking about times when following God means making hard choices and she started talking about persecuted missionaries.  I was absolutely floored.  Girl after my own heart right there.  During the pine cone ceremony she said that what she learned about God this week was that God gave us each of our fingers to remind us of something.  This was referring to a prayer model taught earlier in the week.  The other girls were sweet as well.  I was surprised at how perceptive a few of them were.  During one of our cabin times we talked about everything from heaven and hell to death.  I had to watch every girl go down the slide at least four times each, "yep I'm watching!"  That was fun.  I enjoyed sharing the camp experiences with these campers because they get so excited about everything and they crave attention.  The giant slip and slide was a huge hit with both campers and staff, maybe even more so the staff.  Not unusual.  We tend to be the kind of people who enjoy life.  For example today we were at our lunch meeting after the campers were gone and everything became a reason to yell and bang on the tables... plates, random people who walked in, drinks, food, anything.  On a lower note, one of my fellow counselors badly sprained her ankle during the night game last night and had a late night hospital adventure.  Since I was with my girls, I didn't know what was going on and I heard rumors ranging from her being paralyzed to that she couldn't sit down to that she had broken her leg.  My adrenaline was at four million miles an hour.  Thankfully, cabin aunts and uncles put the campers to bed so the counselors had a puppy chow party in the staff lodge.  It was awesome.  Theres a guest camp this weekend so I'm going to be lifeguarding Friday afternoon and most of Saturday but I'm off until then.  Since most of the program staff road tripped to the ER last night we are all exhausted.  Hopefully doing something fun while I'm off.  High school camp is next week but I probably won't be counseling which I'm actually pretty disappointed about.

No comments:

Post a Comment